Friday, May 28, 2010

"I don't know, I'm making this up as I go."

That is one of my favorite lines from Raiders of the Lost Ark...also one of my favorite movies of all time. Also, in my opinion, it is one of the greatest action-adventure movies of all time.

I think what sets Raiders apart from most all other action-adventure movies is not its plot, elaborate set pieces, or memorable action moments...all of which are top notch and still stand so strong to this day. What sets it apart is, you guessed it, Indiana Jones himself...the globe-trotting archaeologist. I think the character Indiana Jones is one anyone can identify with. He's rough and tough, smart, witty, he can take a grazing bullet, slide under a truck, hold his breath under water for minutes on end...but yet never does he seem to have it all together. He gets his equal share of punches to the gut, he gets stuck in the traps, and he gets caught by the enemy. But of course, at the end of the day, he escapes and gets his "fortune and glory".

The aforementioned quote embodies his character completely. He's flawed...he's never sure what's next, but is determined to seek after the treasure; be it the Ark of the Covenant, the Shankara Stones, or the Holy Grail. Nothing gets in his way; no Nazis, traps, or even snakes.

I think deep down at the core of each one of us is that desire...that dream or vision for something...something bigger than us. But none of us have it all together, just like Indy. We all have that something that we are chasing, or at least want to chase, after. Some are chasing...others are sitting around talking about it. Indiana Jones never found any treasure, or accomplished anything of much importance at his cushy professor job. Don't get me wrong, that is not a knock against teachers...but it's obvious that teaching was not Indy's passion. If what you are pursuing is teaching...then that's great!

What is your passion? What is that adventure you have been dying to go on, but never had the courage to embark on. Are you afraid to fail? Are you afraid that you don't know every step of the way? Well...you won't. That's part of the fun of an adventure...not knowing where you are going and then one day being able to look back and see where you have come from and how you got where you are.

I believe that if you are not living life as an adventure then you are most certainly not living it to its fullness. Fullness is found in God alone and living life for Him is the greatest adventure.

Coming out here to Tulsa is definitely the most adventurous thing I've done so far...I'm pretty sure marriage will be the next. After that...who knows...college degree...first church plant? I have no idea how all this stuff happens, but that's the coolest part...when I live my life for Him, God will order my steps in the most mix-matched way imaginable and all of a sudden my life becomes a GREAT and UNPREDICTABLE adventure. There is no RUSH or FEELING like it. (all of the sudden this became a Perry Noble blog with my all caps :)

Pursue that dream with all you have and until you have nothing left to give. I seriously think we confuse ourselves when we think that God doesn't want us to pursue certain dreams or visions. If God is the Creator and if we are created in His image...then we have that same GREAT creativity inside us. Too many times we brush aside truly God-given gifts, because we think it would not be honoring to God. Please...that is the DUMBEST pile of crap I've ever heard...and I've listened to it too many times (unfortunately I still do from time to time) myself. As a musician you don't have to write music that has the Jesus stamp in every verse, chorus, and bridge. Just listening to music will not bring people to Christ. What about writing music that the secular crowd wants to listen to and then you, the artist, can stand strong for Christ. Write music...write, write, write, and then stand for what you believe in. I believe that is honoring to God...music that could eventually lead them to its creator, who could then turn them on to the gospel...not music that turns them off from the gospel.

Anyway...

Just think, if Indy didn't go after the Ark...then we would be in a world controlled by Nazis...melted, imploded, and exploded Nazis that is...

Live life to its fullest and most adventurous!







No comments:

Post a Comment